Broadcasting Council for Scotland
The Broadcasting Council for Scotland operated from 1953 to 2006.
Terms of reference
The terms of reference and rules for the National Broadcasting Councils were incorporated in Article 12 of the Charter of July 1952.
Facilities offered to members of the Council by the BBC included visits to studio centres and transmitters; issues of Radio Times, The Listener, and other publications; secretarial help etc.
The Broadcasting Council for Scotland held its first meeting on Wednesday 14 January 1953, at 5 Queen Street, Edinburgh. Chaired by the BBC National Governor for Scotland, Lord Clydesmuir, the meeting was attended by the BBC's Director General, Sir Ian Jacob and the Chairman of the BBC Board of Governors, Sir Alexander Cadogan.
The Council offered strategic guidance on many key broadcasting issues over the years; from the extension of the transmitter network to the north and west to the development of BBC television output for Scotland in the 1950s.
'The prime need', wrote the Council in its section of the BBC Annual Handbook in 1958, 'is to correct the inescapable predominance of English and metropolitan interests'.
The Broadcasting Council's brief was extended to include television output in Scotland in 1962.
In 1975 the National Governor of the time, Lady Avonside, recommended to the Annan Committee on broadcasting that there should be more Scottish material, the development of community radio.
The Council played a distinctive role in the debate which led to the launch of a national radio service, BBC Radio Scotland, in 1978, under National Governor Professor Alan Thompson.